Playgrounds

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Roulette

I'm in the middle of Jessica Valenti's fabulous book The Purity Myth, and so much of what she talks about, especially in regards to abstinence education, rings familiar. Being homeschooled, I never went through a formal sex-ed class, but as she's talking about the metaphors and catchphrases, I know it.

"Relying on condoms is like playing Russian roulette."
Yes. V actually had a conversation with an old boyfriend, talking about sex, where she said something about not risking the consequences. Of course I'd wear a condom, he said. I know, she said. That doesn't matter.

"Stephanie and Drew want to save sex for marriage. Stephanie is super affectionate and dresses in tight clothing; Drew is finding it harder and harder to wait."
Yep, sorry Steph, but it's all your fault. All your responsibility, too. Stop looking like such a slut, and maybe he'll be able to honor your mutual promise to wait.

"If I take this velcro and stick it to to everything, pretty soon it will lose its stickiness, and it won't be able to cling when it finds the other half of the velcro."
Evangelicals don't often go for subtlety, I must say. Also, it sucks to find out that my self-worth and sexuality is on par with a fairly unreliable method of adhesion.

I hate that it's all so familiar. I hate that so many people could say the same thing. I hate that so many more don't see anything wrong with that.

3 comments:

  1. "Stephanie and Drew want to save sex for marriage. Stephanie is super affectionate and dresses in tight clothing; Drew is finding it harder and harder to wait."

    Yes, the story always goes this way. Never, "Drew is super affectionate and dresses in tight clothing; Stephanie is finding it harder and harder to wait." Or God forbid, "Stephanie's BFF Hannah spoons her in bed whenever they have sleepovers. Stephanie is finding it easier to wait on Drew."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch. Yeah, the book talks a lot about how women aren't supposed to want or have a sex drive. I must admit, I burst out laughing at your last sentence. So cavalier! Love it. You go, Stephanie. ;)

      Delete