Playgrounds

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Unfathomably tiny

Laura and Danielle, Kali's older sisters, are miracle babies. They were born at 24 weeks 2 days, and each weight 1 pound 6 ounces, 12 inches long.

Two weeks ago, they turned 5. They're still tiny, but they've thrived. They're full of life and energy and personality.

I met them just before they turned 3. I can't believe it's been over two years, and at the same time, I can't imagine knowing them before that. Knowing the incredibly tough road their parents walked, months spent in the NICU not honestly knowing what would happen, having already lost the other triplet.

Kali is in many ways the completion of their family, but the "big girls" - such a misnomer, as Kali is only a few pounds behind them, despite the 3 year age gap - are the heart and soul of that family. They've been involved with March of Dimes and other organizations since the beginning.

They are miracle children.

For their birthday, a banner hung on the hearth with memorabilia clipped to it. Onesies, hats, and diapers, from the early days. I can't imagine anyone fitting into them, not even a baby doll. Much less my own daughters.

Here's to the bravest, strongest girls I know.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! it especially struck a chord with me because I was born almost three months early and weighed 1 pound 9 ounces.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on being a fighter, then. I'm continually amazed by the strength and spirit of preemies.

      Delete