Playgrounds

Saturday, September 18, 2010

There's hope, and I need a kid

I went to the thrift store I'm obsessed with today, and they had an entire new row of board books. Fifty cents each. Twenty-five percent off the total purchase. Needless to say, I bought 12. After putting 6 back.

Why? Because one day there will be a baby in the house, and I believe in libraries, and where else am I going to find Goodnight Moon for fifty cents? (And Very Hungry Caterpillar, and Brown Bear Brown Bear, and Is Your Mama a Llama, and The View From Saturday, and...)

I texted my mom, "I'm investing in my child's future. At the thrift store buying the view from saturday, very hungry caterpillar, goodnight moon, etc." Her response made my day, because, as I've mentioned before, I have no idea what will happen when V and I have children. "Buy Pat the Bunny new. Or let "Granny" do that when the child is born ;)"

She and I have never explicitly talked about me having kids with V, but she's always known I want them, and I've dropped a few casual references to a few years down the road when we want to start trying. And I think she'll be there for it - she's been there so far, even if somewhat reluctantly, and I think our baby (or babies) will have at least one grandmother. Though I may quibble with her over her being called Granny...

2 comments:

  1. Well you know your kids will also have an "auntie" Eve (haha) and I will totally spoil them too! Hell I don't care what they call me, they can call me gran or something if you guys want them to!
    On another non-crazy baby obsessed Eve note, I'm glad your mom has come around or at least let you know that she'll be okay with it. I know that means alot to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that's a great response from your mom! Yay for her! Now if only we could spread that acceptance around.

    ReplyDelete