Playgrounds

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Continuum

Way back in the beginning of this blog, I discussed my thoughts on the term 'lesbian' and how I was uncomfortable with summing myself up that way in my blog tagline. I'm certainly more accustomed to it now, though it still doesn't reflect me 100% - though I doubt anything that could fit in a tagline could ever fully portray an individual.

That said, I'm content with it. It's a nice, brief summary of the ideas about which I write. Where it makes me laugh, though, is the fact that I'm not really a lesbian. Not in the "only and ever girls" sense. I rely heavily on the Kinsey scale and the idea of a continuum of sexuality (and yes, I know there are much better links than wikipedia, but that's all I have energy for).

How does this tie into childcare? A Monday afternoon playgroup has formed, somewhat by accident, consisting of Laura and Danielle, their friend and her younger brother, Rainbow Dash, and Patrick and Lilly. The three moms and I were chatting while the kids played, and we ended up on the topic of what's attractive in guys. I could honestly take part in that conversation, thinking back to high school, thinking of even now what I think is cute.

Yes, I take pride in my wife. I love who I've become because of her. But sometimes, it's nice to have a "normal" conversation, and I'm glad for my continuum, and knowing that it's okay to think about guys, about girls, about whomever, without having to have a crisis on whether that actually means I'm bi, or if I'm being true to my sudden lesbian heritage, or anything like that.

Besides, then I get in on great conversations with lines like this from Laura and Danielle's mom- "I told him [now-husband] that I almost didn't date him because he's short. He said that's fine, because he almost didn't date me because I was a bitch."

1 comment:

  1. I tend to go with the vague, broad term "queer" to describe myself at least partly because of its political/ideological implications, and also because "lesbian" is just way too narrow and binary for me. The Kinsey scale used to be really important to me when I was first picking labels and coming out, although it's since lost most of its usefulness for me because while a spectrum is better than a binary, it's still got poles and it's still pretty limiting. (For one, it doesn't account for different aspects of sexuality beyond biological sex -- for another, it doesn't parse aesthetic attraction, or romantic attraction...)

    Gosh, what do straight people think about if they don't have to deal with all this sexuality label theory stuff?

    ReplyDelete