Playgrounds

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A not-so-bright moment

The lesson of the day: driving aimlessly to explore is fun; walking for the same reason, less so.

Let me explain. (No, there is too much. Let me sum up.) Today was a very beautiful day, unseasonably warm, and I thought I would take Patrick and Lilly out in the stroller. We've done all our usual walks so much, though, that they've become boring, so I figured I'd continue up a road we walk on, rather than turning off toward home like we normally do. I continued...and continued...and turned right onto another road I know. And continued, and continued, continued up a giant hill, and continued. About halfway through all that continuing, we entered a park that I know of, but don't know very well. Or, you know, know where anything is in it.

Let me say again that I was pushing a double stroller. Occupied. And I hadn't brought any water. By the time we reach the top of the hill, I'm about to die, and all that there is to be seen is grass, trees, and a boring road. I turn right. Above me, shining like a light-tan-colored beacon, is a giant structure that most likely houses bathrooms and - glory be - a water fountain. After that, I'll need to find a place to let the borderline-impatient kids run around.

I can't figure out how to get up to the beacon on the hill. There's a large staircase, which would work, except for that whole "double stroller" bit. After a moment of contemplation (my brain wasn't working too well), I decide the only way to get up there (since I don't know how big the hill is and am too tired to go around) is to charge the grass hill. With aforementioned double stroller. In, I might add, shoes with no traction.

I make it halfway up the hill and get stuck. (Hold on. I know it's a long story, but seriously. You need to share my pain, then you may mock my idiocy.) I can't go back down, because the hill is steep enough that the stroller would flip. After another moment of contemplation, I turn the stroller around so the kids are facing down the hill, lie it on its back (so the kids are facing the sky), sit down, loop the handle over my knees, and pull. I backwards-crab-walked up a hill, dragging a stroller. Does that even need a comment?

And the stupid building didn't have bathrooms or water. I was about to pass out, so I lay down on the marble in a shady spot, while the twins stared at me like I was insane. Once I recovered enough, we went down a small road on the other side of the hill (which was shorter anyway), found a swingset, and then - glory be, for real this time - found a water fountain.

Watching Patrick and Lilly trying to drink from the fountain almost made the whole thing worth it. Almost. But it was a two hour round trip and I don't even know how many miles. They were awfully cute, though. Alright- commence commenting on my silliness.

2 comments:

  1. Think of how fit you are going to be soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds youtube worthy. I'm so glad you finally found water though.

    ReplyDelete